In Prey, gamers enter an unpredictable world where nothing can be taken for granted. Most of the game takes place within a living ship, a giant entity that can sense and react to Tommy's presence.
Prey makes use of Joseph's Campbell's renowned story structure, "The Hero's Journey," for guiding the main character arc. Campbell's extensive work on mythological story progression was made famous when George Lucas used it for Luke Skywalker's story arc in the original Star Wars.
- Built on an enhanced Doom 3 engine, the most impressive 3D engine used in a released game.
- Portal technology adds a new dimension to gameplay, allowing enemies to appear out of thin air and create new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles.
- Several never-before-seen gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk.
- Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy.
- A deep, emotional story of love and sacrifice.
- Tommy has a sidekick, a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship.
- Multiplayer game support that takes advantage of the unique gameplay styles in Prey.